Polenta is a traditional Northern Italian dish: a creamy warm porridge made with coarsely ground cornmeal, made from yellow corn. Polenta is a side dish that is usually served next to a meat stew (spezzatino).
In Northern Italy we like Polenta so much that we use it to bake cakes too 😉 Today I decided to mix the grainy and creamy polenta texture with almonds and ricotta in order to create a very moist and delicate cake. Considering all the ingredients the cake is super healthy and nutritious, perfect for an after school snack or a breakfast.
The cake is naturally gluten free as polenta doesn’t contain gluten.
from votePrintPolenta and Almond Cake – gluten freeIngredients
- 4.8oz.polenta flour125g
- 9oz.ricotta 250g
- 1stick/8 Tbsp butter115g
- zest 1 lemon
- one handful almonds40g
- 1 1/2tspbaking powder
- pinchof salt
- Preheat the oven at 170C/340F.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and mix them in order to obtain a grainy flour
- In one bowl mix the melted butter with the honey using an electric whisk.
- Add the lemon zest and the vanilla, whisk.
- Divide the egg whites from the yolks.
- Add the yolks to the butter/honey mix, whisk.
- Add the ricotta, whisk.
- Add the almond flour, whisk.
- Add the polenta flour and the baking powder, whisk.
- In a separate bowl place the egg whites and a pinch of salt. Whisk the egg whites to soft peak.
- Using a wooden spoon slowly and delicately add the egg whites to the batter.
- Place the batter in a cake pan, I used a 9 inch spring form cake pan.
- Sprinkle on top one handful of sliced almonds.
- Bake for 50 minutes